Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sunrise Sunset Swiftly Fly the Years....

Today is our daughter's birthday, and since she is older than 29 I won't say by how much. But last Sunday as we were sitting next to each other at church I was thinking that it really doesn't seem that long ago that I was going to church with my mom and grandmother. My attention was on the sermon, so that thought just skittered through quickly and was gone for then.

Later, my dh and I planned a dinner for our daughter and her family. Today*Thursday* is the day she stays late at her office. So we had the dinner last night. I fixed chicken and rice, a dish she'd liked as a girl, and one that can stay in the oven a little longer if traffic is heavy. Peas a veggie Livvie loves, salad and her favorite cake.

Every week on Thursdays she gets to sleep a tiny bit later, because her hours are shifted so that she can answer the phones in the office until 6. She works for an international company, and although she talks to people around the world, the majority of the business for her office is here in the US. Sleeping in is a good way to begin your birthday. I made sure to post a HBirthday to her Facebook, and called and left a message on her cell...today was busy for all of us. :) The world has changed so much since I was the granddaughter until now, when I'm grandma.

My Grannie was born before the turn of the twentieth century. She grew up in a time completely different from the time I  did. No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no cars, no tv, no lots of things that I consider pretty good stuff now. My infancy was filled with illness, in fact if there hadn't been antibiotics it likely I'd never have survived. Life is so fragile in those early years.

This all is starting to seem pretty random to me. Premiere episodes of my tv shows are about to begin, so guess that is enough for now. I wonder what the world will be like when Livvie is the grandma.

3 comments:

Farm Girl said...

How nice!! Yeah, I am having a bit grasping that I will be a grandmother of 6 and I still feel 17!! My grandmothers seemed so old at my age. I can't imagine them doing some of the things I do everyday, but then I didn't start picking cotton at 3 or doing washing on a scrub board, or carry water everyday or make all of my familys clothes. I have had it pretty easy.

My oldest daughter is getting ready to have a birthday too. I am keeping the kids so her and her husband can have a evening to themselves.
It is weird you had those thoughts sitting together. I have it all the time now that my baby is going to have another baby.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great weekend.

Julia said...

Yes COTTON EYED JO, life sure has changed. Some for the better and some for the worst. I hope that you enjoyed the moment whet your were all together for the special dinner. JB

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

Kim, most of those thought happened during the posting. At church, I just had the barest skittering across my brain about how quickly my life had moved me from granddaughter to grandmother. ;)