Sunday, April 25, 2010

Proud I finally took the plunge, and grateful for the results

Today was a big day in my evolution as a rug hooker. Now most of you will probably think I'm making a big deal over something quite commonplace. But this is the first time I've done REAL dyeing wool. Not true exactly, but up till now, I've only overdyed with koolaid mixtures. Glad that was a background experience, as it did give me some training wheels, along with the excellent directions April Deconick shared with the members of the Palette Dyeing Group at http://rughookingdaily.ning.com/  You do have to be a member of this group, but if you are someone I know, and would like an invitation, just let me know.



 I'm not a very neat person, tend to get distracted in the middle of things, and well can definitely be a
"ditz" in general. Not self denigration - know yourself, and the truth will set you free would definitely be more how I'd describe it.

I bought the white enamel pail from a seller on ebay easily 3-4 years ago. I've been getting dyes nearly as long, but never felt confident enough to try. Today I donned a papermask of the best grade called a respirator, pulled on my Bluette gloves, used my little dye spoons and created a dye formula for bluebonnets. In fact that is what I'm calling it. The little notebook, I got for a stovetop formula reminder. For this dye it says:
Bluebonnets
  • 1 tsp Copenhagen Blue
  • 1/32 tsp Khaki Drab
  • 1/32 tsp Lavender
  • 1/64 tsp Chartreuse
Take a sneak peek inside the pot and you'll be able to see graduation strips 5 and 6 in the pot. 7 and 8 are shown on the counter in the picture at the top. The last picture will give you a sneak peak at values 1 - 4!

Can you see the difference between 5 and 6 in the picture above? 5 is the one nearest the bottom of the picture and a bit lighter. The water bath in the bottom of the pot looks a lot more purple than the finished swatches do. I forgot and left the spoon in the concentrated dye jar, then tried to rinse it out in the water.
Like I said, distractable...

Last peek of the evening, is the first four jars. My stash tends to be pretty lean in the light end of the spectrum. This method looks like it will help me have a better balance in the wools I can select from. Happy Dance.

Once the dye is all absorbed, strips rinsed and dried, I'll post a picture of all the strips together. These were dyed over white wool. Next time, I'll be trying my next color for the palette, which I'm calling Yellow Rose. If it turns out as good as Bluebonnets, well`~ we'll just wait and see. :)

5 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Glad you took the plunge and I'm sure the results will be worth the effort!

Mary said...

Jo, can't wait to see the finished product. It looks great so far. So glad you jumped in!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Jo, I'm sooo thrilled for you!! It looks great!! I bet you can now imagine the possibilities :). Have fun with it. And remember there is no ugly wool. If something doesn't come out the way you want it the first time, you will always use it somewhere else some other time!

moosecraft said...

Bluebonnets is a gorgeous, soft color! Very dreamy! Can't wait to see Yellow Rose!

katie said...

Beautiful colors. Congratulations on taking the plunge into dyeing.
We have a wool store here in town and she does lots of dyeing, have done very little myself and when I did it was camping and over a wood fire.