Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halloween is just one week away!

Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays as a kid. Costumes to imagine and make, special treats to eat, and a party or at least a costume parade at school.

Soon after becoming a teacher, I discovered a wonderful sort of scary story that was called The Red Room Riddle , by Scott Corbett. It was a dark and storm night, the first time I read it, and just like many adult books it was a book hard to put down. It was a great book for reader response's and it had two boys as it's lead characters. So I could always count on keeping the attention of all the kids in the room, as I read it aloud ~ usually after recess.

I  googled it today and found that there was a weekend program back in 1983, right during the time we were relocating to TX. I watched three videos on YouTube, and while they were well done for their time, they had to change up the story a bit for tv. I guarantee the book is a great book. I especially liked that at the end the author, let the reader decide whether it was a real event or the lively imaginations of two boys on a special Halloween adventure. Ordered a copy on Amazon today, so that Livvie can know the fun of the story when she is old enough to enjoy it. Right now Tinkerbell is scary, so the hair raising tale in this story wouldn't be appropriate. It is a chapter book, with lots of good stopping points. when kids groaned and wanted more that meant sometimes we'd work a bit harder so we could finish earlier for a bit more story before the buses came and the bell rang. :)

  After watching this and the two other clips, I want to read the real story again. As a matter of fact, I'd love to read it to a group of kids again!

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you like to read outloud, it is still one of my favorite things to do. Even though my last two are almost grown they still humor me. I am not familiar with that book and will look for it.

I have a old scholastic book of Ghost stories that I got when I was a kid and I always read this story out loud about Cobbie Bean. The kids still ask for it and they are grown. :)

Thanks for sharing what you did on my blog, it sounds like it is hard for you right now.
I will keep you in my prayers. I like your Grannies quote too, and I find it to be so true.

patijane's primitives said...

Jo, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, also. I enjoy the small children coming to the door dressed up. They are all so cute. Think I will look for the book you talked about. Sounds very interesting. Have a great week.