Sunday, April 3, 2011

Red Violet ? Blue Violet? How I could Tell

First off, you might be thinking, who cares, or why would I want to know for sure!  In the palette dyeing I've been doing so far, it usually has been quite simple to identify the hue of the color. But for these two colors, there was only a 1/4 tsp difference in the formula. That might be a mistake, but it is how it figured up, and how the formulas were measure for the dye pot.  Hmmmm, seemed to me like it could make them very similar.   The blue violet had an identifying permanent mark on one of the strips. So that meant I could keep them straight, no matter how they came out. Washed and dried separately, pinned as soon as they came out of the dryer, so confident that these are correctly divided into the two colors and their 8 values.

So here they are side by side.

On top of that, these were the first two batches I added kosher salt (1/2 tsp) to the jars of water. This is to help maintain a more uniform color. Why did mine still have mottling? Because I didn't stir them during processing. I like mottled wool, feel like it gives my hooking more depth.

My red formula contains quite a bit of turkey red, and this has led to a very red orientation of the palette colors. I had to redux the blue and yellow formulas to come up with more balenced hues of the secondary colors. In all honesty,  it seems likely that the red formula will now be undergoing a redeux.   That will mean a completely different palette, even if I keep my current blue and yellow formulas.  Like them alot, and so I will. But the original red can always be dyed, now that I have the formula. Turkey Red has some orange undertones, which as a new dyer, I didn't realize.

No comments: