Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Eaton Edge

I Love Pinterest! This morning, I stumbled across a pin that linked me to a 9 minute demonstration of Doris Eaton, showing how to do "the Eaton Edge". I'd read references to it as a simple and effective way to finish rugs.

After watching the video, I can see where this could be a favorite way for finishing in the future.


http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zR-ebWIJd_Y&feature=player_embedded&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzR-ebWIJd_Y%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

She mentions that this technique helps the edges of the rug wear more slowly. You do the prep work for the Eaton Edge before hooking your rug. 


  • You need to sew tape around the edges of the rug, using a zipper foot. 
  • Start by hooking from the underside of the rug first.
  • Hook a second row (from the front) and continue on hooking the remainder of the rug. 
  • Turn tape to back and secure it to the rug foundation
  • The first row of hooking done from the back, will fill the tape, giving it a corded appearance.
Efficient and long lasting - who could ask for anything more?

2 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Thanks Jo, That is a fantastic way to do the edge of a rug. Thanks for posting it. I think I will go back over and over until I get it right. It looks so easy and clean.
I really liked it.

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

Kim, it really does look simple to have a nicely finished edge by doing this. I'll need to color plan the edges of my rugs a bit more than my usual go where the rug takes me. I've also been thinking about how changing color, like in a pictorial rug, for example might affect it. Fabulous for those rugs with a one color background like Antique Black tho!