Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quinoa for Christmas or New Year's Eve

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/how-to-make-quinoa-the-powerhouse-seed-2410950/

If you haven't tried quinoa, the two upcoming holidays are a great time to try to rather different ways to serve it. Another benefit is that it is gluten free.

I cook ours quite simply. I buy a small box at grocery, dump the contents into a stockpot along with stock (chicken is my favorite but any stock works). 1 can + 1 of water. Bring the stock to a full rolling boil, stir and cook at boil for about 3 min. turn off the heat, and put on a lid. I usually get busy doing other things and forget it. lol
Once the pot has cooled down, empty the quinoa into a covered refrigerator container . It stays good for about 7 days without things added to it. Once you add veggies and greek yogurt, I don't keep it longer than 1 day. But for the two of us that isn't a problem. Of course, I'm only using a part of the quinoa.

With so many sweets around right now, upping your protein intake helps you stay feeling full longer. Too many sweets equal a blood sugar roller coaster that can leave you feeling shakey, and trigger excess snacking.

Quinoa Salad and Quinoa with Herring in Sour Cream and Onion are two recipes I shared earlier. Click on the link for salad and you'll find both recipes (rather more like guidelines). Happy healthy eating ~ this time of year it is even more important~

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I should probably look into this stuff - does it taste good? It's pricey but I keep seeing it at Costco for a more reasonable price than the grocery store

Farm Girl said...

My family loves Quinoa. It is important to watch the blood sugar. I hope you are off to a wonderful week.
Hugs,

QuinoaDietTips said...

I think you can eat quinoa any thime of the year. It's a really healthy side dish, so it's perfect for the holiday season.

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

I totally agree, and actually enjoy adapting other favorite salads such as English Pea Salad or some pasta salads.

My dh and I ate the Veggie/Quinoa salad nearly every day all summer. To my taste, the cucumber is essential, giving a fresh taste to the salad, even though it might be leftover from dinner the night before.

woollylottrugs said...

I hate to look stupid but what is quinoa? I know what you mean about the roller coaster sugars. I just went on injections last week twice a day for my diabetes. It finally escaladed to injections......not happy at all. Have a wonderful blessed holiday!

hugs
cyndi

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

Cyndi, sorry, guess I didn't link the href. It is now. It tells lots about quinoa and its benefits. Very high protein. Not a grain it is the seed of a plant related to plants like spinach. Which is not to say it has no carbs. But the proteins help you stay full longer.

Another thing that helps me personally when I get that dropping feeling is to drink a glass of skim or buttermilk. It will level me out quickly. I personally prefer buttermilk, but that isn't available when I'm out, and skim milk is much easier to find. :) Hope that the injections turn out to be okay in the long run. Hope your holidays are happy and bright as well!

Cotton Eyed Jo said...

Joanne, I do think it is somewhat of an acquired taste. So is caviar! lol But we eat quinoa regularly now. Watch for it on sale at the grocery or try Costco's.

Read that little linked article at the top for the benefits, and my other post linked at quinoa salad for a couple of ways to use it, and with it being winter now, one easy way to try the cooked would be to stir some(Cooked) into a bowl of vegetable soup. That way if you don't like it, you won't waste the whole pot.

To the salad I usually add carrots, onions, celery, cucumber, and fresh squash chopped up. Mix in enough Greek yogurt to moisten. Its hard to give amounts, because the amount of veggies, affects how much yogurt you need.